Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for the condition more commonly known as excessive sweating. Hyperhidrosis afflicts millions of people around the world on specific areas of the body, such as the underarms, face, palms and feet.
If you or someone close to you suffers from excessive sweating, you already know that there can be considerable emotional and social stigma attached to the condition, affecting their behaviour and emotional state. In fact, many sufferers experience emotional damage from negative reactions from other people, leading to a loss of confidence and self-esteem.
What Causes Hyperhidrosis?
Hyperhidrosis is caused by the over stimulation of endocrine glands (sweat glands) by the nervous system causing them to produce more sweat than necessary to cool the body. There are three main types of hyperhidrosis :
- palmar hyperhidrosis, sweaty palms,
- plantar hyperhidrosis, sweaty feet, and
- axillary hyperhidrosis, underarm excessive sweating.
Traditional hyperhidrosis treatment includes over-the-counter commercial antiperspirants, prescription antiperspirants, oral medications, electrical treatments (iontophoresis) and surgery – although not all methods are appropriate for all types of excessive sweating.
Botox® Therapeutic is a more recent and increasingly popular hyperhidrosis treatment that targets the affected area painlessly and effectively. The Botox temporarily blocks the nerve signals that stimulate the sweat glands in the treated area. A significant reduction in excessive sweating is usually noticed within two weeks of treatment, and results have been proven to last seven months on average.
How do I know if my sweating is actually Hyperhidrosis?
There is a simple scale called the Hyperhidrosis Disease Severity Scale (HDSS). Answers are yes or no, and they help your physician determine the severity of your condition. For example:
- My sweating is never noticeable and never interferes with my daily activities
- My sweating is tolerable but sometimes interferes with my daily activities
- My sweating is barely tolerable and frequently interferes with my daily activities
- My sweating is intolerable and always interferes with my daily activities