The main benefit you will get from acne care is avoiding scarring. Severe acne can leave behind major scars that are permanent unless you have them cosmetically removed. If you take care of your acne, it may not go into the deep layers of skin where the scarring begins. Our professionals may help you:
- Control acne breakouts
- Avoid scarring
- Reduce the appearance of existing scars
- Get medication that is stronger than over-the-counter medications
What is Acne Care?
Acne forms when the hair follicles get clogged with oil, dead skin cells and bacteria. Acne medications help reduce oil build-up, kill bacteria and speed up skin cell turnover to reduce inflammation. Our specialist may prescribe medications, cosmetic procedures or a combination of multiple treatments to help reduce your acne. Talk to our specialist about what you can do for acne care.
Common Acne Treatments
- Topical medications are creams, lotions and gels that may contain retinoids, antibiotics, salicylic acid and azelaic acid or dapsone. You will receive instructions for using these medications. Along with killing bacteria, these medications may help prevent pores from becoming clogged.
- Oral medications include antibiotics, oral contraceptives, anti-androgen agents and for people who don’t respond to other treatments, isotretinoin. These medications may kill bacteria or prevent the sebaceous glands from producing excess oil.
- Cosmetic therapies may be prescribed as a single treatment or along with oral and topical treatments. Lasers and other light-based therapies have been shown to be very successful in reaching the cause of the acne deep in the skin and neutralizing it. Lasers are also used to reduce the appearance of scars. These remedies may need to be repeated every so often for the best results.
One of the most important things to understand about acne care is that the scarring develops when the infection is deep in the skin. If you have mild acne such as pimples, you should avoid poking and pinching them at all costs. This only serves to push the inflammation deeper in the skin, raising the risk of scarring.
When your acne is examined by our skin specialist at Lougheed Laser Centre, you may learn if you have mild or severe acne or a combination of both. The best treatment may be prescribed to help you get the benefit of the right acne care for you. We have offices in Burnaby and Delta and happily serve men and women in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Vancouver, Port Moody, and the surrounding areas. Contact us today to book a consultation!